In many areas of human activities like work or vacation you need strong and durable clothing. Such clothes are made from special rip-stop fabrics. In this article, we will look at the description, characteristics, and properties of rip-stop fabric.
Features, specifics of production, standards:
The term “rip-stop” is formed by two English words: “rip” – to break and “stop” – to stop. Indeed, small holes, punctures and cuts on this fabric do not break further and do not increase in size. This feature is related to the specific structure of the rip-stop fabric: it is fully criss-crossed with reinforcement threads, most often nylon or polyester, at an equal distance (5-8 mm) from each other.
The result is a high-strength reinforced fabric that does not crumple, does not stretch and does not shrink after getting wet. Rip-stop mbgf bbıııaterial, due to these qualities, is widely used for the manufacture of various uniforms and protective clothing. There are certain regulations and necessary requirements for the density of such fabrics, the number of warp threads and shrinkage, wear resistance, and tensile strength.
Varieties, differences, composition and properties:
Both synthetic and natural fibres of different diameters can be used in the manufacture of textiles with rip-stop weave. Therefore, we can distinguish the following types of such fabrics:
- Very durable, tough and slippery ballistic nylon. It is made of polyamide threads of considerable thickness. The first bulletproof vests were created from multi-layer ballistic nylon.
- Nylon rip-stop. This synthetic textile, in addition to its high strength, has water-repellent properties and lightness.
- Polyester rip-stop. Somewhat heavier and tougher than nylon.
- Mixed rip-stop. In such fabrics, synthetic threads, for the most part, serve as a reinforcing mesh, and the main fabric is formed by silk, cotton and other natural fibres.
To ensure greater comfort when wearing clothing made of this material, reinforcing polyester threads are wrapped with a cotton braid. are added to the composition of mixed rip stops. This additive removes the electrical potential that accumulates on synthetic materials. In addition, depending on the purpose of the fabric, its composition may include flame retardant fibres and threads that give additional strength to the fabric. A purposeful combination of the composition, thread diameter and weave density creates a wide range of durable textiles with various characteristics of weight, texture, water resistance, water and air permeability, fire resistance and frost resistance.
Other areas of use:
Strength, durability, lightness, a wide range of protective properties and a variety of textures make rip-stop textiles suitable for manufacturing such clothing as:
- tourist equipment — durable backpacks, lightweight tents and sleeping bags; tents and covers of different sizes – from miniature canopies to shopping tents, from mobile gadgets to cars;
- durable, breathable, comfortable, bright sports and youth clothing;
- military uniforms and equipment such as long-lasting camouflage uniforms of special forces and field units, high-strength protective coatings, including body armor, weapon covers;
- hunting and fishing clothing and equipment such as durable camouflage with water-repellent properties, scabbards and covers;
- bright, dense, light sails for yachts and Windsurfing;
- durable coloured balloon shells and kites;
- parachutes and wing suits for flying from the mountains;
- travel bags in all colours and sizes;
- flags that are resistant to wind, sun, and precipitation.
Rip-stop fabric is made using a complex technology. Additional processing and composition variations significantly increase this price. Due to the content of synthetic fibres, this material should be washed at a temperature of 50 degrees using soft detergents. The use of bleach for coloured fabrics is prohibited.